Friday, July 20, 2007

No Regrets

I often wonder how it is I will die. Different scenarios of varying morbidity play to the same tune of inescapable mortality in a picture theatre reserved for the type of people that read the last page of a novel first. The way in which it will happen worries me little. I've seen the car wreck with contorted limbs pierced by claws of metal. Cancer's slow occupation of the body, eating, eating away, day by day by day. I've pictured the bullet of metal hurtling toward the blue as I put my head between my knees and 'brace, brace,brace'. And I've felt the swelling vessels in my head as blood congeals and clots where it shouldn't.

No, it is not so much the way I will die, but death's mutual exclusivity to living that scares me. I'd like to think I was one of those people that could look at the passenger next to them and yell above the terrified screams "no regrets". But I couldn't. I can't. I regret, that is me.

It is any wonder I am terrible flyer.


No Regrets
Edith Piaf

No! No regrets
No! I will have no regrets
All the things
That went wrong
For at last I have learned to be strong

No! No regrets
No! I will have no regrets
For the grief doesn't last
It is gone
I've forgotten the past

And the memories I had
I no longer desire
Both the good and the bad
I have flung in a fire
And I feel in my heart
That the seed has been sown
It is something quite new
It's like nothing I've known

No! No regrets
No! I will have no regrets
All the things that went wrong
For at last I have learned to be strong

No! No regrets
No! I will have no regrets
For the seed that is new
It's the love that is growing for you

6 comments:

Ani Smith said...

Yes, I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Callisto said...

Even though I tend toward the no regrets end of the spectrum, I have to be medicated to fly.

Anonymous said...

My mantra used to be "no regrets". It still is, but now I realise there are things I should have regretted before I did them, because they caused others to feel regret.

Anonymous said...

Non, rien de rien.
Non, je ne regrette rien.

High school French class now playing in my head. Merci.

Philip. said...

Forget death. Enjoy life to the full!!

camille said...

Hi Philip, welcome.

I'm trying to heed such advice, I suppose my thoughts sometimes encroach on the living part.