Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The grass is always..

The footpaths are on fire with smatterings of autumn leaves. Even the trees are too lethargic to do more than just hold their branches up. And now, now the light is fading earlier and faster and all I hear from that island far away is of endless sunshine and days that are stretching the distance between us.

But there is beauty in these last dying breaths of summer. The warmth of the seldom sun on my face. The crunch of cracking fibres stomping through the park. And the afternoon light seeping through the growing gaps in trees' tangled arms.

Soon enough I will be back in the melting heat of summer, fanning my sweaty face with a crunched up magazine and brushing sand from my legs, longing for an icey autumn breeze and some crunchy orange leaves.

4 comments:

Peach said...

I'm not sure I've experienced the crunch of autumn so much as the slip and slide and drip and glide

lovely words you write...

camille said...

Peach - hello and thankyou. And yes I have been experiencing the slip and slide also, have almost ended up on my backside more than a few times in the last three weeks. But admittedly I'm clumsy at the best of times.

Anonymous said...

hello camille...hurray you are back ! xx....I love autumns crunchy orangeness too. I think the mixture of cold and sunshine is lovely...anyway, you're lucky, you're going to get the best of both worlds !

Anonymous said...

I love the autumn... and it has clearly inspired you... beautiful words.